Friday, November 24, 2006

Eating Troubles


Jonah has always been our child who would eat anything. There are a few things he doesn't like, but for the most part he can pack in anything. From the time he first started on "solid food," he didn't want baby food. He wanted table food, and lots of it. Also the bigger, the better. He preferred things not broken up into small pieces for him (can you say "choke hazzard?") Basically if you put it in front of Jonah, it would be eaten.

So recently, when Jonah started shaking his head at the dinner table, I thought he was just playing around. He was just sitting there, not exactly eating, so I suggested he take a bite of his dinner. My idea was met with violent head shaking, followed by a shouted, "NOOOOOOOO!!!" The struggle intensified and ended with Jonah being sent to his room. Sam and I actually thought it was pretty funny. He went from this sweet little joyful angel to a rebel in the course of a few minutes. We thought he must be tired. (That's always it, right?)

The problem was not limited to just the one meal, however. Now EVERY meal we go through this same routine. I have tried serving his absolute favorite foods (macaroni and cheese, cheerios, yogurt,) with no luck. I've tried bribing him (you can have this cookie if you eat your dinner!), only to have him throw a bigger fit when I don't give in and just give him the cookie! I'm not sure the kid has eaten a meal in a week!

I think we may have hit the terrible twos. Wait a minute! He's not even two yet! IT'S TOO SOON!!!!! I WANT MY AGREEABLE CHILD BACK!!!!! :)

3 comments:

Beth said...

So sorry. For what it's worth . . . that's my world ALL the time. :)

Unknown said...

That sure doesn't sound like sweet little Jonah! It must be a sore throat!

Anonymous said...

No fun at all. I hate to say it, but I deal with this with my eighteen year old along with an allergy issue. It's so difficult on a daily basis. My heart goes out to you. As mom's we just want them to eat!