Friday, November 14, 2008

Have you seen this child?


This morning while I was fixing breakfast, Henry disappeared.


Completely. Gone.


I had heard him go outside, but that isn't unusual. Henry usually likes to spend a few minutes with his kitty in the mornings. He just didn't come back inside.


I put the food on the table and got Jonah settled and then went to look for Henry. Sam had just gotten up and joined in on the search. We went outside and hollered for Henry, thinking he was just playing around somewhere.

Nothing.


At this point we split up and began looking in different places. Inside, outside, any place we could think of that Henry might have gone.


Nothing.

I ran the entire property, wondering if Henry had maybe gone out to play and gotten hurt or trampled by the horses or something.


Nothing.

It had been ten minutes since we started looking and he had headed outside at least five minutes before that. Sam and I came back together saying, "This just doesn't even make sense!" and feeling a little panicky.
Sam quickly got on the phone with one neighbor while I got on the phone with another. While the guy on the other end of my call was telling me he would go out and check his property, I looked up toward the street and saw Henry walking down the street with Elmer, our dog.
Whew.
Turns out Henry decided to take himself for a little walk this morning.

After much hugging and tears, I said to him, "Henry, you MAY NOT go out on walks by yourself without telling anyone where you are going!" and he said, "But Mommy, I wasn't by myself. Elmer and George Bush and Spark were with me!"
Right. He wasn't by himself after all. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised he didn't mention Jesus being with him as well ;-)

That is another priceless story for the record! I'm sure you will remind Henry for years to come about the morning you were afraid for him and he was safe all along.

Kim said...

Yikes. How panicked you and Sam must have been feeling. It only takes a second.

Thank the good Lord above he was just taking a little early morning stroll! I guess he needed to clear his head before going to school! :)

Alisa said...

Oh my! I can't imagine what that felt like.

sam said...

I don't remember this? Was I awake? Henry is our child? Wierd......