Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Texas Rain

I know this isn't the most exciting blog material, but this past weekend we got over six inches of rain in two storms (basically in a 24 hour period). I grew up in Seattle, so I thought I knew all there was to know about rain.....but Texas is showing me a thing or two! There were areas around us that were having flash floods and an entire town was pretty much flooded (at least four people died in Gainesville this week), so I feel very fortunate that we just had flooded yards.
The next few pictures were taken at the entrance to my subdivision--we live on a hill, so we don't usually see too much puddling....
This is a far-away shot....

and a close up of a newly created (at least for the weekend!) waterfall. The boys thought this was great! Henry thought we were out for a scenic drive!

This is normally just a grassy field.....

and this one is just a picture of the road going toward my house--the brown/red-ish ribbon to the left is a river of water where there is usually just a soft, grassy shoulder.

Pretty wild, huh?

On a lighter note, the boys and I saw Shrek the Third today. It was so fun--it's only the second theater movie the boys have ever attended, and they absolutely LOVED it! There were a few things that bordered on inappropriate, but for the most part it was just a funny movie! (And anything that was even a little suggestive was totally over the boy's heads anyway.) :)

5 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

wowza! it's crazy how something so destructive can be so beautiful too isn't it?

thanks for sharing the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey said you guys were getting tons of rain! She was on her cell the other day while driving and had to hang up to be safe as it was pouring so hard. I hate it when she talks and drives anyway. That Texas rain is something else!

Glad the boys had fun. I was thinking about you.

Shanygne said...

Freecycle sounds awesome... I would love it if you would post our dishwasher up for us... let me know what you need to know!

You can email me at my TM address.
shanygne.gullickson@

Sounds like you guys had more accumulation that we did up here... we don't get the flooding that other areas might get.

Can't wait to see you on Friday! It's been too long!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I bet you are wishing for some sunshine now.

Just Mom said...

Now that's what I call rain. Love the photos (and the fact you took time to take them).