Saturday, September 01, 2007

Ratatouille

Anyone see the movie this summer? It's a cute one. The boys and I went to see it in the theater, and when we got home Henry asked if we could make ratatouille for dinner. Thinking he didn't really understand what it was (it's basically just vegetables--usually not his favorite), I took him to the grocery store and pointed out all the things that went into making it. He got even more excited about it, so we bought all the vegetables and made ratatouille! We were all surprised at how good it was (all except Sam, who really doesn't like vegetables so much!), and now it has made into my cooking rotation. I took a few recipes off the internet and adapted them to suit my family, so I'm sharing that here in case anyone wants to try it too! (I just finished putting ours in the crock-pot.....we are having this tonight!)

Crock-Pot Ratatouille

2 Tbs olive oil

1 onion, sliced into rings

1 medium eggplant, cut into cubes

1 small zucchini, sliced thin

1 small yellow squash, sliced thin

1 pound mushrooms, sliced

2-3 tomatoes

2 cups (or so) grated mozzarella cheese

Garlic powder

Salt

Brush crockpot with olive oil.

Place onion slices in bottom of crockpot and top with eggplant cubes.

Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt (to taste).

Sprinkle a handful of mozzarella over top.

Next layer zucchini slices, sprinkle with salt and a little more mozzarella.

Continue layering in this fashion (yellow squash, mushrooms and tomatoes with a sprinkling of salt and then mozzarella between each).

Cook on low for about 8 hours.

We serve this over warm egg noodles.....so yummy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! Sounds great! Have you tried serving it to JH???? I am so surprised that Henry enjoys this. One just never knows!

Anonymous said...

Linds and I saw the movie this summer when they came to Michigan. It was cute! The guys went and saw some transformers or something like that???

I'm sure Alicia would love this recipe as she is totally in love with veggies. It would be great to use my crock pot once. I never know what to put in it.

Once again, that Henry cracks me up. How cute that he wanted to try Ratatouille to eat :)

Kimmy said...

how fun... we need to see this movie... and make this dish... what a great activity... ~ kim

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

My kids saw the movie and loved it!

michelle said...

How clever are you! It sounds yummy..I am going to try it but perhaps I should take my kids to see if first to hype them up a bit...hee

Heidi Jo Comes said...

you are such a great mommy!

Just Mom said...

I haven't seen the movie, but would love to.

The recipe looks wonderful. I'll have to try it.