Tuesday, February 01, 2011

The Mighty Dam (Sam)

A while back, Bridget took to calling Sam by a new name. She sort of combined "Dad" and "Sam" to come up with the lovely sounding "Dam". We didn't notice it at first, attributing it to toddler-speak (even though Bridget is better known for her clear speech), or thinking we were not hearing her properly. Sam was the one who finally pointed out that she had re-named him. This went on for a few months, and has since passed, but it sure gave us reason to giggle for a while. Seriously, it is hard not to laugh when you hear your three year old calling her daddy 'Dam'. ;)During that phase, Sam was working on fixing up his tractor. He got everything running in tip-top shape, replaced the seat and tires, and gave it a fresh new coat of paint. I love that he has such skills...he can fix anything! He chose a lovely shade of bright orange (so perfect!) and then asked the kids and me to come up with a good name for her. We came up with the perfect name, forever commemorating the months of laughter..."The Mighty Dam". I can only imagine what the people at the sign shop thought when they printed it out.
One thing I really appreciate about Sam is his sense of humor. He shows our kids that it's okay to have fun and not to take themselves too seriously. He's willing to do just about anything for a laugh, and he is always trying to get people to smile. It's one of the things that attracted me to Sam in the first place and I continue to be amazed at how quickly he makes friends and earns people's trust.
Another of Sam's finest qualities is his work ethic. I've never known anyone who works harder than Sam. He always has a few projects going on and lists upon lists of more things he would like to get done. At times I can find it frustrating, because I like to have nothing to do when I relax...but Sam is most at peace when he has something to work on or figure out. It's something I've grown to truly appreciate about him.It is beautiful to see Sam teach the kids how to do things around the house, yard, shop, etc...they love helping their Daddy and he enjoys passing on his knowledge and showing them how fun it can be to work. :)
Thanks for being you, Sam. We love you and appreciate everything you do. I could not imagine a more perfect father for our children and I am incredibly blessed to be your wife. :) Love you!

No comments: